Friday, January 20, 2012

... More on Naps

Here are some additional thoughts that I did not mention in yesterday's post...

There are additional things that can change the success rate of your child's napping habits:

1. Teething;
2. Illness;
3. Being away from home/on vacation;
4. Returning from vacation;
5. Having your child up later than usual the night before;
6. A poor night's sleep for the child; and
7. If the last nap was too short.

So these are additional variables that I failed to mention in my last post. These additional factors add to my difficulty in pinning down the perfect nap time for Nathan.

At this moment, Nathan is in his crib, talking to himself, occasionally jumping and yelling excitedly, instead of sleeping. I put him down for a nap 50 minutes ago, after a nice quiet time of me reading him a few books. Why hasn't he fallen asleep yet? Why is he all wound up now? Was his morning nap (of an hour and ten minutes) not as good as I thought? Are his new teeth bothering him? A more likely story... did I keep him up too long before this afternoon nap (even though I've been trying to put him down at SET times... like 1pm!). I don't know. I have no idea why this nap isn't a success. See. Torture.

On a more positive note, regarding night time sleep... I cannot complain. Nathan does great sleeping through the night from about 7pm to 7am (for the most part). Even if he does wake up in the middle of the night, he knows how to put himself back to sleep. If I had to choose between him having sleep problems during the day versus at night, I would pick at night... since that is obviously when I would like to be sleeping as well! : ) This is one of the Babywise successes I mentioned yesterday and so when I do write more on my love-hate relationship with Babywise, I'll touch on this more.

Until next time, sleep well.

No comments: