Thursday, September 22, 2011

Noteworthy Sightings #2

Hey Everyone,

I'm here with some more noteworthy sightings from my walks with Nathan!

1. SPRINKLERS! So, in Ryan's parent's neighborhood its quite popular to have an underground sprinkler system set up in your yard (fancy, I know). I find this both funny and annoying. I find it funny just how many people are watering their lawn at 7am! I find it annoying because often when they water their lawn, they also inadvertently water the sidewalk... so Nathan and I have to go out into the street to avoid being sprayed by water.

2. Another popular thing I noticed is patios in the front yard. I've seen several houses with brick or stone patios right in front of the house between the front door and the attached garage. Most of the patios contain two chairs and a bistro table! I'm not sure if this is just an aesthetics thing (in which case, it does look nice), or if people actually sit out there and have a cup of coffee or share a conversation. So far I haven't seen anyone sitting at the tables, so I'm thinking its more of an aesthetics thing.

3. The other morning, I passed a house that had incense burning on the front porch. It was on a pedestal right in front of the front door. The only idea I could come up with for this was some sort of cultural belief that the incense was cleansing the house or protecting the house or something. Not sure!?

4. There is a house with a sign in the front yard indicating that their yard is an official wildlife habitat. Its teared and has a lot of mulch spread and has a lot of different types of flowers and plants randomly placed throughout. Peggy told me that its designed to have their rain water drain a certain way to get water down to all the tears. I don't know what I think about it I guess. Its just different.

Stay tuned for more... I'm sure we'll see more... although I should think about changing my route so that I don't run out of material! : )

No comments: